Welcome!

Welcome! This blog is about the Christian County, Missouri friendship quilt that was passed down to me from family members. It was created circa 1937 for Julia Delima Marcy Boatwright by friends and relatives. Julia passed the quilt down to her daughter, Lucille, then Lucille's daughter passed it down to me. I am researching the quilt and those who contributed to the quilt and will post my findings on the blog. I have taken photos of each square of the quilt, which I will be posting in the blog. Also, I have a second Christian County friendship quilt that was passed down to me. The second quilt was made circa 1944. I will also write about it, after I finish the first quilt's blog!


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Orpha "Orphie" VanDusen Waite

                 Orpha "Orphie" Lucretia VanDusen Wait



  Orpha Lucretia Wait was born in 1864. Some sources say she was born in Iowa and other sources claim she was born in New York. She was the daughter of Martin B. and Harriet M. (Treanor) VanDusen.

In 1888, Orphie married James Pinkerton. They were divorced by 1903 and James was remarried. Orphie later married Harry E. Wait, after 1910, probably in Nebraska.

Orphie and Harry moved to Christian County, Missouri sometime after the 1930 Federal Census, which shows them living in Big Grove, Benton, Iowa. Since Orphie was my mother's neighbor, I asked Mom when the Waits moved to Christian County. She estimates that they arrived there about 1935. She said she remembers them moving out of Christian County around 1939 or 1940.

I found an Orpah L. Wait, on Ancestry.com, that was buried at Fairlawn Cemetery in Elk City, Beckham County, Oklahoma, in 1942. I believe this is Orpha "Orphie," because the birth year is the same and my mom remembers Harry Wait coming back with a new wife during the 1944 election. He came for a visit, and my mom remembers them talking to her parents about the election between Dewey and Roosevelt.

While Orphie was living in Christian County, she made a square for my great  grandma Julia's friendship quilt. The square is below. Note that she embroidered the date "1937" on the square. That is one reason I document the quilt was made in 1937.




No comments:

Post a Comment