Welcome!

Welcome! This blog is about the Christian County, Missouri friendship quilt that was passed down to me from family members. It was created circa 1937 for Julia Delima Marcy Boatwright by friends and relatives. Julia passed the quilt down to her daughter, Lucille, then Lucille's daughter passed it down to me. I am researching the quilt and those who contributed to the quilt and will post my findings on the blog. I have taken photos of each square of the quilt, which I will be posting in the blog. Also, I have a second Christian County friendship quilt that was passed down to me. The second quilt was made circa 1944. I will also write about it, after I finish the first quilt's blog!


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Lena M. Garrison Farthing

(Photo courtesy Melodee (Caves) Slaney)

Lena was one of the best friends of my grandma, Urma Shipman Boatwright. I remember when I came to visit Grandma, sometimes she would spend time talking to Lena on the phone.

Lena M. Garrison was born on 2 April, 1907 in Christian County, Missouri. She was the daughter of Lee Ledford and Martha Jane "Mattie" (Dobbs) Garrison. Lena married Theodore "Ted" Garrison on 6 February, 1926, in Christian County. They lived in the McCracken Community of Christian County. Lena and Ted had a daughter named Melodean and a son named Billy Lee. Lena passed away on 6 October, 1983. She is buried in the Linden Cemetery in Linden, Christian County, Missouri. The quilt square she contributed to the friendship quilt is in the photo, below.

Lena M. Farthing's Grave

(Photo courtesy of Melodee (Caves) Slaney)
Lena and Melodean

No comments:

Post a Comment