Welcome!

Welcome! This blog is about the Christian County, Missouri friendship quilt that was passed down to me from family members. It was created circa 1937 for Julia Delima Marcy Boatwright by friends and relatives. Julia passed the quilt down to her daughter, Lucille, then Lucille's daughter passed it down to me. I am researching the quilt and those who contributed to the quilt and will post my findings on the blog. I have taken photos of each square of the quilt, which I will be posting in the blog. Also, I have a second Christian County friendship quilt that was passed down to me. The second quilt was made circa 1944. I will also write about it, after I finish the first quilt's blog!


Friday, July 12, 2013

Quilting Back in the Day

It's been a busy summer! Even though I haven't posted lately, I have been thinking of this blog and making plans. Along with entries about specific women who helped create the friendship quilt, I plan on doing a series of video interviews with my mother, Beatrice, who was a child when the quilts were made. 

My mother, Beatrice, was born during the depression and grew up near McCracken in Christian County, Missouri.  Beatrice, who is 81 years old, is probably one of the oldest living people that was around when this quilt was made. In 1937, she was 5 years old. I have not found the name of anyone else on the quilt that is still living, although I am in the beginning stages of this work!

Even though my mother did not participate in making the 1937 quilt, she did participate in making the 1944 friendship quilt we own. Also, she has memories of her mother and grandmother making friendship quilts during her childhood. Quilting was a very common, practical past time during that era. Women often enjoyed quilting together with other women to enjoy social time. 

In this first video, my mother talks a little bit about how her grandmother, Julia Marcy Boatwright, organized making this quilt. She also discusses the making of friendship quilts in general. 



Until next time, enjoy your summer!

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment